A Soulful Community
Post Ranch shares the commitment to community and the environment demonstrated by our operating partner, Passport Resorts and its sister properties. The San Francisco Bay Area hotel management company is known for developing and operating award-winning resorts that promote environmental and social responsibility, support sustainable development, and offer a soulful guest experience.
Along with Passport Resorts and its sister properties, Post Ranch has always embraced the philosophy that “what is good for our earth is also good for business.” Our commitment is to take as little from the environment as possible and to give back as much as we can. All Passport resorts, Post Ranch included, share a reverence for the land, community, and local culture.To manifest this philosophy, we lead by example and pursue these strategies:
- Preserve and protect the environment
- Create a responsible partnership with the local community
- Respect others with whom we share the land, and preserve and impart their culture
- Inspire, educate and communicate with staff, community, guests, and others
- Develop staff and the local economy, recognizing the impact of local employment
- Provide opportunities for philanthropy (both guests and corporate donors)
- Support other nonprofits with similar priorities
At Passport Resorts, we pursue what we call “holistic hospitality.” This means we engage with guests, staff, the community, and nature with intention, integrity, and respect. Today, as we see our long-held values regarding environmental stewardship and community support gain momentum around the world, Passport believes that luxury and sustainability are not mutually exclusive, but work ideally together.
The Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund
The Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund is a “donor advised fund”, administered by the Community Foundation for Monterey County, a charitable organization qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund was established in order to provide a simple mechanism for hotel guests staying at Post Ranch Inn to give back to our community by making contributions that are then distributed to local charitable organizations.
How Does The Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund Work?
To implement this program, a discretionary charge of $4 per room night is added to the guest’s invoice. There is no obligation to participate and guests may opt out of the program at check-in or check-out without question.
How Are The Contributions Distributed?
100% of all funds collected for the Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund are used for charitable purposes. All such funds are initially transferred to the Community Foundation for Monterey County, which in turn transmits such funds to tax-exempt charitable organizations that qualify under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Fund recipients are selected and amounts are distributed at least quarterly. As examples of the types of organizations supported by the Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund, the following are several organizations that have previously received Fund contributions:
- The Big Sur Volunteer Fire Brigade – The Fire Brigade provides structure fire protection for the residents and businesses in the Big Sur Area, covering 60 miles of coastline, along Highway 1, from Hurricane Point to Monterey/San Luis Obispo County line on the south with a 40-member Brigade. Learn More
- Big Sur Health Center – The center exists to serve the health and wellness needs of the Big Sur community. It provides quality healthcare through traditional and complementary approaches that are culturally sensitive and center on patient needs. Learn More
- Rancho Cielo – Ranch Cielo is a comprehensive learning and social services center for underserved youth in Monterey County. Their vision is to transform the lives of at-risk youth and empower them to become accountable, competent, productive and responsible citizens. Learn More
Is The Nightly $4 Guest Contribution Tax Deductible?
Although all funds contributed to the Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund will ultimately be distributed by the Community Foundation for Monterey County to charitable organizations that are qualified under Section 501(c)(3) the Internal Revenue Code, the discretionary charge of $4 per room night is not tax deductible.
Additional Contributions To The Community Foundation Are Tax Deductible
If you wish to make separate tax deductible contributions, you may make these directly through the Community Foundation for Monterey County using the online link Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund or through the QR code in the lobby. All contributions made directly to Post Ranch Inn Big Sur Community Fund at the Community Foundation for Monterey County are tax deductible. Pursuant to the Internal Revenue Code, donors will receive a receipt and letter confirming their tax-deductible contribution. We greatly appreciate your contributions and your generosity!